Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Courseless: Immersion through Integration

How I use Habit RPG for Language Immersion
Popular language-learning software like Rosetta Stone market their immersion technique to draw in the casual learner. Immersion is the reason people study abroad. But what about when you want to practice at home? What's the best way to immerse yourself in the target language?

The good news it's there's a plethora of paths to integrating language practice into your daily routine. Besides searching for local language clubs and pen pals, you can use anything you normally enjoy (or even things you may dislike!) to learn a language.
  • Language Labels - This is a more passive technique. As I'm moving into a new dorm in a few weeks, I've started compiling a slideshow with images of every times - clothes, kitchenware, etc. Each slide features one item, and the word in my target language. If the gender or plurals aren't intuitive, I add them as well. Afterward, you can print them out using the 6-slides a page option. I'm planning to cut them out and stick them around my room (and if my roommates let me, the apartment...).
  • Cooking - I've partially completed this technique. In Germany, I turned my grocery list into a vocabulary list. Because I was living in the country, I got a lot of practice with food. But if you're learning a language like Chinese or Arabic, you can always visit a specialty shop and read the labels there! The only thing I need to work on with this technique is using the verbs while I cook, Which is why summarizing a recipe you can use during the cooking process might help a lot!
Cards in the slideshow, and as a print out.
  • Gaming - So, this one is exciting. I've used to Sims 3 in particular. It's more of a special treat I give myself, but it's all in Russian, so I get some practice anyway. When I play, I try to write down 10 words I don't know, and translate them after. Since the Sims 3 is real-life simulation, there's a lot of useful tidbits there! I've also used Civ IV for German, and I enjoy that as well.

    Another game that's worth mentioning is Habit RPG. A really good friend of mine sent me this article, which discusses how students have been using it to practice Japanese. Since I'm learning three languages, I've dividing the functions. Arabic is for the habitual, more elementary vocabulary: no soda, go to sleep early, etc. Russian has my daily tasks, which are also less complicated. German gets a nice seat at the To-Do list, which includes appointments, writing projects, and so forth - mostly because I have a larger vocabulary in this area. Rewards go to all three, and I try to give Russian and Arabic a bit more room here.

    I've also heard of Japanese learners using Minecraft, and that there's a ton of Russians on Dota 2. But I haven't really looked further into these topics.
  • Reading, Writing and Film - All of these things are great ways to incorporate what you've learned. I feel like Film and TV are most used, partially because you can be somewhat passive. I enjoy reading a lot, especially because I can go at my own pace. Reading can also give you a sense of freedom, because the topics are endless.
Sims 3 по-русски!
My favorite resource is having a movie with subtitles in your target language, because then you can write down what you can't hear as well. Writing can also be fun, but it does feel a lot more like work. I usually write small snippets of fiction, but I've tried poetry too. It's a great way to exercise your creativity while reviewing some vocabulary.

The great thing about these options are that they are free, or relatively cheap - especially compared to traveling abroad or buying high-end flashcard software. And at the end of the day, rainy-day language activities may be just what you need start enjoying the language!

1 comment:

  1. What about Drakensang !? I know its not helping you with your language immersion but still !

    ReplyDelete