Sunday, September 7, 2014

Courseless: Rummaging for Materials


So, you want to learn a language? Or maybe you you're returning to an old friend.  Do you want to improve your language for a course next semester?

Regardless of your intent, you come up with a problem: what kind of source to use?

There are a multitude of free and not-so-free courses for the language of your choice. And before you start wading through the mess, it's important to ask some fundamental questions:

What level am I on now? Beginner? Intermediate? A1? B2? The Common European Framework is my preferred reference, but if you prefer another system of evaluation, go for it! Other choices include:

The Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi - Chinese only!

What do I want to learn about? If your goal is travel phrases for a vacation, you will probably need a different book or online course than someone who is interested in advanced grammatical concepts.

Are there methods that appeal to me more than others? Do you prefer reading, writing, listening or speaking? Which of these is most important for you to learn? Does knowing how to speak help you write, or vise versa?  It's worth it to know not only how you want to communicate, but what learning style works best for you.

How much money can I spend? This is true especially if you are a beginner or if you are simply giving the language a test drive. Don't invest hundreds of dollars on a plethora of materials just to try them out. Read reviews, suggestions, and search for free stuff first. I can imagine there is at least one online course for nearly every language.

Do I have anyone to speak with? Looking up native speakers in your area is a great way to expound on anything you learn online. If there is a meet up available and not just tutoring, you can really learn a lot paying with time. My first impulse is to check out Meetup.com

How much time can I spend? Do you need a book that is short and sweet? Or do you want that hard leather-bound spell book containing 500,000 new words and grammatical notes with footnotes at the library bookstore? Depending on your level, you'll spend a different amount of time on textbook than a phrase book, but if depending on your level you might want to start on something less time consuming. I'd say the same if you're B1 or B2 - do you want to buy a textbook with listening or do you want to listen to free news casts and read a book?

After all these are answered, there are the common sense methods. If you must buy something, check the reviews first. Be aware that a certain brand may have a great books for Spanish while the German ones are lacking. The only repeated item I buy is a Barron's 500 verb dictionary, although these may also be obsolete with online verb tables. Still, it never hurts to have a physical copy, especially if you are prone to distraction online. I also find it easier to study without the internet and with something that's been edited. 

If you want my take - if I'm not enrolled in a class, I will try to find a free online course. Typically, I also purchase a reasonably priced dictionary, verb book, and sometimes a grammar reference if it isn't included in the dictionary. Often a basic grammar guide is enough, as I like to create a grammar "cheat sheet" with my own notes and color coordination.

When I began learning German, I used Deutche Welle's online course, and I continue watching their programs because it's very clear and easy to listen to.

With Russian, I used borrowed a textbook from my friend who finished first year Russian. We use Live From Russia, but I prefer Golosa (Голоса).

I started Arabic at my university, and even when I was away, I continued with Al-Kitaab. After we finish the series, I plan on practicing through a book on Arab stories, which includes a listening portion.

There's so many texts and online resources it's impossible to list them here. But finding the right material is a rewarding process, and even if you fail to find the right book at first, you'll still have found out more about your learning style.

No comments:

Post a Comment