Friday, July 10, 2015

What I Learned From Studying Abroad: Why Learning About Learning Is Important

When I first began my trek into the territory of second-language acquisition in 2008, I had never heard of project-based learning. Likewise, there was no Fluent in 3 Months. At least at the time, my only point of reference to education was a classroom-based curriculum, with the exception of threads on community forums. My ignorance isn't surprising - missing-out on middle-school science fairs and being swamped with AP busywork, knowing how the system worked was more important than knowing how learning worked. Although I had a passion for numerous subjects, knowing how to test-take is more important than what's on the test.

After visiting Germany in 2008 and becoming enthralled with the language, how to learn became much more important. Although my methods were sloppy, after two years I tested into intermediate German at the college level. If I had spent more time with grammar, I may have been able to slip into the advanced courses. And from this experience, I modeled my entire college curriculum on self-education. My entire drive was based on this, to take as many classes as possible and find out how to use it all. I began to read articles about project-based learning, about language learning. 

Only in Germany did I learn the most about what education is and what it should be.


The US system, which more and more people are dissatisfied with, is based on rigorous testing, but not learning. It took me hours to do homework from various subjects - Math, English, Geology - but without any goal except to memorize the material. I wasn't raised with the idea of how to learn, what we can get out of learning. It's obvious why we learn basic math and writing. You can use these for communication, basic time and financial management, etc.  History is often romanticized as helping us remember the past, so we don't repeat it (although we often do).

So what was so different about Germany? In fact, about the rest of the world?
Inside the Marburg Theology library. I made it a" project"
explore the city and talk with anyone I could, especially
in stores.

Students must be self-reliant. 

The homework, the testing - it's not that it isn't always relevant, but that it misses the most important step.

Education has become a chore. Something we do to get through the system and get a degree. Often, we're taught subjects without knowing why it matters. And if it doesn't interest us, we struggle through it.

In Germany, I had each class (except for Arabic) once a week. There was homework, but it was minimal and optional. This left huge gaps of time that I had no idea what to do with. Even my summers in the states weren't this open.

Prior to this trip, I had given myself a pat on the back for being "self-taught". But this is normal for most students. If you don't understand the lecture outside the US, you may be able to talk to your professor, but it's up to you to know the material. There's no handholding for tests, no reiteration of the textbook - if you have one. In Germany, we had handouts, slideshows, if anything at all.

With all that time, I could find projects or work if I wanted to, to learn things in my own time. I could figure out the applications to whatever I was doing. I could think and process the material, and practice it with others without all-nighters. It's a lot of responsibility, but that's what education is about, because after college, you still have to keep up with the developments in your field. Learning never ends, as we hear time and time again from teachers and professionals. 

At the end of the day, I've found, real learning comes to four things. Not textbooks or classes - although that helps. Money helps, too, but for now, libraries can still bridge that gap. What really makes a difference is  realization, organization, application, and motivation.

Learning languages opens up more
information, like being able
to read all the notes
about pieces in the Marburg religious
studies collection! (In German and English)
Realize what you need and what you have. Realize what you bring to the table, your strength, weaknesses. Learn about yourself before you decide to learn about something else. In reality, your job, your stuff, your talent doesn't really define you. You can work flipping burgers at McDonald's and have amazing dreams and hobbies. But you have to know and understand your limits, and what systems may be limiting you, to understand how you can grow.

Learn how to organize your time and the materials. Cut out all the excess stuff. If you're new to a language, read the definitions of grammar with examples in your own language first - it'll save you a lot of grief. Pick one or two professional journals, find someone to talk with, get a goal. Be specific. 

Find out how what you're interested in applies to you and how you can apply it. Can your hobbies help or bring light to the lives of others? Or is it just for you? Does it make your job easier or does it allow you to meet more people, to make friends? Can it help you with your weaknesses? For example, I'm a big picture person, so translating taught me focus on the important details.

Finally, motivation, which really goes hand in hand with discipline.  You can't get anywhere if you don't have the energy or interest in doing something. Don't just keep with something because it sounds cool, because often that won't lead you anywhere. Dig deeper to find out why learning matters to you, and be open to all the things you could learn. And even if you have to take a break from some subjects, or you want to move on to something else, that's okay. As long as you keep learning and moving towards your goals.

This is something that took me a while to figure out, but no doubt most people know it already. That's why across the globe education holds such a high value. It's time we stop relying on pointless exercises, and start focusing on learning through application, so that maybe more and more of our youth can appreciate education, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment