Friday, April 29, 2016

Now In English! "Memory In The Flesh" by Ahlam Mosteghanemi

Title: Memory In The Flesh/Bridges of Constantine
Author: Ahlam Mosteghanemi
Translator: Baria Ahmar Sreih / Raphael Cohen, Revised Translation: Peter Clark
Original Language: Arabic

There are some novels that contain a plot so marvelous that you can't help but read on. And there are others that lead you 262 pages deep from the poetry alone. I've heard that Persian may be considered the poetic language of Southwest Asia and Northern Africa, but it certainly has its contenders.


The narrative of Memory in the Flesh by Ahlam Mosteghanemi reverberates with life primarily because of it's poetic nature - for those of us reading in English, we can thank the translators. Originally published in 1985, this work was first translated and printed in 2000 under the title Memory in the Flesh, as translated by Baria Ahmar Sreih and Peter Clark. You may find it now named Bridges of Constantine, translated by Raphael Cohen.

I discovered this jewel of a book while perusing my university's course catalog as a freshman; it was listed among numerous other titles, all in regards to women's literature in the Arabic-speaking world. In discovering I wasn't able to take the class, I did the next best thing - I read some of the books! (And if you're at UTK or will be going there, please check out the Arabic department!)


Memory in the Flesh bookcoverFrom the first page I was smitten by the word choice, more so then the story, but the plot certainly isn't lacking. As you may find summaries anywhere, I'll won't summarize too much here, only that it's deeply involved in contemporary Algerian history - something I knew very little about. Post-revolution, a militant named Khaled describes his love for his friend's, a fellow freedom fighter, daughter, alongside four decades of Algerian history and politics.

Which translation should you read? Well, I've only thoroughly read Baria Ahmar Sreih's version, and a few pages of Cohen. I do prefer the title Bridges of Constantine - I feel like that offers the reader a concrete image of the theme of memory, of an idea. I understand the original title (from my very basic Arabic knowledge) to loosely translate to "the body of memory". The physicalness would be hard to pinpoint, but the specific image of Constantine is much more tangible, much better understood, and it gives the reader more information.

And Cohen's translation feels a bit tighter, I'll give it that. A bit eloquent. But for me, Sreih's translation is loose and conversational, and I feel like it adds something special to the character of the narrative. A more distinct voice, maybe. But I suppose this is more of a personal preference.
"Nervously, I light a cigarette and chase through the smoke for the words that for years have seared my soul, words whose fire has never been quenched by ink. Is paper a dustbin for the memory, a place where we always deposit the ash of the last cigarette of nostalgia, the remnants of the final disappointment? Which one of us lights up or stubs out the other? I really do not know. Before you, I never wrote anything worth mentioning. Because of you, I put pen to paper."
As summer approaches, think about this book when you get ready to head to the beach. It's short (I got through it in a day, maybe two), it's rich with imagery and history.

Looking for another book? Check out Maria Nephele by Odysseus Elytis. Otherwise why not buy Memory in the Flesh on Amazon?

No comments:

Post a Comment