Friday, July 15, 2016

Language Challenge Update

Due to moving I was limited in my language learning for about 2 weeks, with my practice being sporadic, but since then I've gradually returned to a regular schedule. Here's what I've been doing the past several days (the weeks before that I won't mention, basically because it was most vocabulary review).
I was delayed in taking a German placement test for this 3 month period (January to March), so I settled for a shorter exam that gives a general idea. It's not the most accurate, as its only 15 questions, so I'm going to assume I'm just under the B2 score and work from there.

In my text examination period, I'll do a Goethe practice exam to get a more accurate reading.

German

  • Started reading Deutsch SII. It's a high-school textbook. Currently 2 pages a day = finish in 6 months. 
  • Writing an essay per chapter that responds to a prompt.
  •  Working on a schedule for a language partner 
  • Adding new vocabulary from readings to personalized Memrise deck.

 Hindi

  • Listened to dialogues chapters 7-10. 
  • Grammar journal for chapter 10 
  • Completing a Memrise deck based off the text I am using.
  • Speaking with the locals.
Currently I need to work on making my Hindi spoken recall faster, so I'm hoping to spend some time, maybe as a warm up, testing myself on a few words/phrases then repeating the ones I can't remember. Despite the set backs (which I expected to occur, anyway), I still seem to be on schedule. The biggest thing right now is speaking Hindi - my passive vocabulary seems to be fine. I already have a base for speaking in German, so I just need to expand the vocabulary and practice a little bit. But I barely speak Hindi at all, so it's a more challenging break through. 

A main challenge in Hindi is listening/speaking, so I should start doing dictations & spoken recall. If I improve listening, should help boost my speaking confidence, too.

Overall

I'm guestimating my Hindi level to be A2.1 and my German level to be around B2. This does mean, however, that despite being on schedule with my book, I'm a bit behind on Hindi for my goal to be finished around July.

No comments:

Post a Comment